Welcome to the County Clerk's Office
NOTICE: For changes regarding the submission of required documentation, click here.
NOTICE: Military records can no longer be accessed on public computers. Click here for additional information.
Two alternative methods for renewing your vehicle registration are now available! For information regarding the Auto Assistant App and outdoor Kiosk, click here.
NOTICE: Wheel Tax Increase
- Effective February 1, 2021, the Wheel Tax will increase to $74.00. The Montgomery County Commission passed this increase which must be paid in addition to the state registration fees. (Resolution 20-9-15 passed by the Montgomery County Commission on October 12, 2020.)
- If you are 65 years of age or older, and have a household income of less than $25,000 annually, you may be eligible for a Wheel Tax rebate in the amount of $25.00. For more information, please click here.
- When visiting the County Clerk's Office, please enter through the front entrance. The amount of customers within the office will be limited.
- In an effort to reduce customer volume, we highly encourage vehicle registration renewals be processed online (click here). Placards may be renewed by mail or in our drive-thru.
- Documents that are not related to our office transactions will not be notarized at this time.
- Passport Applications will be accepted between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 10:00 a.m. only. No appointment required.
I hope you will agree this site will assist in answering your most frequently asked questions. I have promised to
find efficient and effective ways to manage your clerk's office and I believe this site is a very important piece in
that process. In
addition to this web site, we are now processing online registration renewals, as well as, accepting MasterCard,
Discover, and Visa credit card payments. Below you will find general facts about the duties of our office. To the
left are numerous
links to give you more detailed information. Please feel free to contact my office at (931) 648-5711 if you need
The County Clerk is a constitutional officer and is elected by the people for a term of four years. The Montgomery
County Clerk's Office has numerous duties to include several types of licenses. This includes but is not limited to
licenses, marriage licenses, county beer licenses and business licenses. The County Clerk's Office also handles the
issuance of passports, Notary Publics and the titling of vehicles. The County Clerk is the clerk of the county
and maintains the official County Commission Minutes which are available for public viewing.