NOTICE: For changes regarding the submission of required documentation, click here.
NOTICE: Military records can no longer be accessed on public computers. Click here for additional information.
NOTICE: WHEEL TAX CHANGES APPROVED BY THE MONTGOMERY COUNTY COMMISSION
Wheel Tax Increase
Effective February 1, 2021, the Montgomery County Wheel Tax will increase to $74.00.
Effective July 13, 2017, the non-resident military Wheel Tax exemption will be limited to one (1) per active duty member annually. An End of Month LES, dated within the last ninety (90) days, must be presented for exemption. To qualify for the exemption, the active duty member must be stationed at a Tennessee base (to include Fort Campbell).
- The fees for a new title and license plate are $119.00 (plus $5.00 if mailing the plate and documentation to the customer).
- Transfer of license plate and application for title is $19.50 (plus $2.00 if mailing the documentation to the customer). The registration of the plate and the new title must be in the same name(s).
- If noting a lien, an additional $11.00 fee will apply.
- If an individual purchases a vehicle from a Tennessee dealer, sales tax is paid to the dealer; otherwise the sales tax is paid to the County Clerk's office. Calculate Sales Tax and Fees
- If an individual purchases a vehicle from a private party, sales tax is paid to the County Clerk's office at the time of registration. Calculate Sales Tax and Fees. If the purchase price is less than 75% of the NADA clean trade-in value, an Affidavit of Non-Dealer Transfers (low price or gift form) can be submitted at the time of registration and sales tax will be collected based on the purchase price. If the affidavit is not submitted at the time of registration, your paperwork may be audited by the State of Tennessee, Department of Revenue's Audit Division, and additional taxes or documentation may be required.
- If an individual purchases or receives a vehicle as a gift from a lineal relative, an Affidavit of Non-Dealer Transfers (low price or gift form), completed by the seller(s) and buyer(s), is required at the time of registration for sales tax exemption. A lineal relative is defined as a spouse, sibling, child, grandchild, great grandchild, parent, grandparent, great grandparent, and spouse of lineal relative.
- Replacement titles for current Montgomery County registered vehicles can be obtained by the owner at our office. The replacement fee is $16.00.
- A donation to promote Organ Donor Awareness is optional.
- State of Tennessee Vehicle Services
Disabled Veteran Wheel Tax Exemption
Per TCA 5-8-102, any disabled veteran who has one hundred percent (100%) permanent total disability is exempt from the motor vehicle privilege tax (wheel tax) upon submission of evidence of such disability. Proof of a 100% rating (i.e., signed VA letter) must be submitted at time of application. No refunds will be issued after application has been processed.