- The fees for a new title and license plate are $70.50 (plus $3.00 if mailing the plate and documentation to the customer).
- Transfer of license plate and application for title is $19.50 (plus $2.00 if mailing the documentation to the customer). The registration of the plate and the new title must be in the same name(s).
- If noting a lien, an additional $11.00 fee will apply.
- If an individual purchases a vehicle from a Tennessee dealer, sales tax is paid to the dealer; otherwise the sales tax is paid to the County Clerk's office. Calculate Sales Tax and Fees
- If an individual purchases a vehicle from a private party, sales tax is paid to the County Clerk's office at the time of registration. Calculate Sales Tax and Fees. If the purchase price is less than 75% of the NADA clean trade-in value, an Affidavit of Non-Dealer Transfers (low price or gift form) can be submitted at the time of registration and sales tax will be collected based on the purchase price. If the affidavit is not submitted at the time of registration, your paperwork may be audited by the State of Tennessee, Department of Revenue's Audit Division, and additional taxes or documentation may be required.
- If an individual purchases or receives a vehicle as a gift from a lineal relative, an Affidavit of Non-Dealer Transfers (low price or gift form), completed by the seller(s) and buyer(s), is required at the time of registration for sales tax exemption. A lineal relative is defined as a spouse, sibling, child, grandchild, great grandchild, parent, grandparent, great grandparent, and spouse of lineal relative.
- Replacement titles for current Montgomery County registered vehicles can be obtained by the owner at our office. The replacement fee is $16.00.
- A donation to promote Organ Donor Awareness is optional.
- State of Tennessee Vehicle Services