- Online Renewals
- Motor Vehicle Information
- Boat Registration
- Hunting and Fishing Licenses
- Trailer Registration
- Business Licenses
- Marriage Licenses
- Notary Public
- Hours and Holidays
- County Commission Information
- Commission Minutes
- Contact Us
Title Held By Lienholder
NOTICE: VEHICLE REGISTRATION FEE INCREASE, EFFECTIVE JULY 1, 2017
Public Chapter 181 increases the cost to register a vehicle and includes an electric vehicle registration fee beginning July 1, 2017.
Registration Fee Increases
The cost to register a passenger (personal) vehicle will increase by $5. The cost to register a commercial vehicle used for hire to transport passengers (buses, taxis) will increase by $10. The cost to register freight motor vehicles (Heavy Highway, Semi, etc.) will increase by $20.
Electric Vehicle Registration Fee
The registration fee for electric vehicles will be $100. The electric vehicle registration fee is in addition to the standard registration fee.
Registration renewal notices, issued by the State of Tennessee, will reflect the new fee increase beginning in July.
For more information, visit www.tn.gov/revenue. Click on Revenue Help to search for answers or to submit an information request to one of the agents.
Effective January 2017, a new Insurance Verification System will be launched by the Tennessee Department of Revenue. Drivers are advised to verify the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) on their registration and insurance card is correct. Insurance companies will report required policy information to the Department of Revenue. Drivers will not be required to submit proof of insurance unless the verification process does not confirm insurance coverage.
What the owner should bring to the County Clerk's office:
- Provide current vehicle registration issued by your previous state. The registration may not be expired more than 12 months from the date of application.
- If registration is not valid you must have a copy of the title faxed from your lienholder to our office at 931-572-1104.
- The complete mailing address of the title holding office for your lienholder
- Proof of identification ( More Information )
- Two proofs of residency ( More Information )
If Military, the following documents are also required:
- Current orders stationing the military member to a base in Tennessee
- Current End of Month (LES) Leave and Earnings Statement within last 90 days
- If Tennessee is listed for state tax purposes on the LES, the title and registration fee is $70.50.
- If Tennessee is not listed for state tax purposes on the LES, the title and registration fee is $40.00.
If not stationed in the State of Tennessee, you must provide proof of sales tax. You may be responsible for additional taxes.
**Note: In Kentucky, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, New York, Oklahoma, Wisconsin and Wyoming, the owner, not the lien holder, keeps the title.