Title Held By Lienholder
NOTICE: WHEEL TAX CHANGES APPROVED BY THE MONTGOMERY COUNTY COMMISSION
Wheel Tax Increase
Effective February 1, 2021, the Montgomery County Wheel Tax will increase to $74.00.
Effective July 13, 2017, the non-resident military Wheel Tax exemption will be limited to one (1) per active duty member annually. An End of Month LES, dated within the last ninety (90) days, must be presented for exemption.
What the owner should bring to the County Clerk's office:
- Provide current vehicle registration issued by your previous state. The registration may not be expired more than 12 months from the date of application.
- If registration is not valid you must have a copy of the title faxed from your lienholder to our office at 931-572-1104.
- The complete mailing address of the title holding office for your lienholder
- Proof of identification ( More Information )
- Two proofs of residency ( More Information )
If Military, the following documents are also required:
- Current orders stationing the military member to a base in Tennessee
- Current End of Month (LES) Leave and Earnings Statement within last 90 days
- If Tennessee is listed for state tax purposes on the LES, the title and registration fee is $119.00.
- If Tennessee is not listed for state tax purposes on the LES, the title and registration fee is $45.00. *Effective July 13, 2017, the non-resident military Wheel Tax exemption is limited to one (1) per active duty member annually.
If not stationed in the State of Tennessee, you must provide proof of sales tax. You may be responsible for additional taxes.
**Note: In Kentucky, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, New York, Oklahoma, Wisconsin and Wyoming, the owner, not the lien holder, keeps the title.
Disabled Veteran Wheel Tax Exemption
Per TCA 5-8-102, any disabled veteran who has one hundred percent (100%) permanent total disability is exempt from the motor vehicle privilege tax (wheel tax) upon submission of evidence of such disability. Proof of a 100% rating (i.e., signed VA letter) must be submitted at time of application. No refunds will be issued after application has been processed.