Title in Customer’s Possession
NOTICE: For changes regarding the submission of required documentation, click here.
NOTICE: Military records can no longer be accessed on public computers. Click here for additional information.
NOTICE: WHEEL TAX CHANGES APPROVED BY THE MONTGOMERY COUNTY COMMISSION
Wheel Tax Increase
Effective February 1, 2021, the Montgomery County Wheel Tax will increase to $74.00.
Effective July 13, 2017, the non-resident military Wheel Tax exemption will be limited to one (1) per active duty member annually. An End of Month LES, dated within the last ninety (90) days, must be presented for exemption. To qualify for the exemption, the active duty member must be stationed at a Tennessee base (to include Fort Campbell).
Title In Customer's Possession
What the owner should bring to the County Clerk's office:
- Vehicle Title and release of lien, if applicable
- Proof of identification ( More Information)
- Two proofs of residency ( More Information)
- The fee for a title and purchase of a standard passenger license plate is $122.00
* (The new plate will be valid for one year from the month registered)
* (Sales Tax may also be applicable)
If Military, the following documents are also required:
- Current orders stationing the military member to a base in Tennessee (to include Fort Campbell)
- Current End of Month (LES) Leave and Earnings Statement within last 90 days
- If Tennessee is listed for state tax purposes on the LES, the title and registration fee is $122.00
- If Tennessee is not listed for state tax purposes on the LES, the title and registration fee is $48.00. *Effective July 13, 2017, the non-resident military Wheel Tax exemption is limited to one (1) per active duty member annually. To qualify, the active duty member must be stationed at a Tennessee base (to include Fort Campbell).
If not stationed in the State of Tennessee, you must provide proof of sales tax. You may be responsible for additional taxes.
** Please note - If noting a lien, an additional $11.00 fee will apply.
Disabled Veteran Wheel Tax Exemption
Per TCA 5-8-102, any disabled veteran who has one hundred percent (100%) permanent total disability is exempt from the motor vehicle privilege tax (wheel tax) upon submission of evidence of such disability. Proof of a 100% rating (i.e., signed VA letter) must be submitted at time of application. No refunds will be issued after application has been processed.