Wheel Tax Rebate
Montgomery County Wheel Tax Reimbursement Program For The Elderly
Owners of vehicles subject to the Motor Vehicle Wheel Tax, who are 65 years of age or older and meet the income requirement can apply to determine eligibility for a refund after payment of the $25.00 Wheel Tax increase which became effective February 1, 2021.
- Age - Must be 65 or older at the time of initial registration issuance or renewal.
- ONE Proof of Identification & current Residency in Montgomery County of EITHER:
- Driver’s License
- Current Military Identification
- Valid Passport
- Property Tax Relief Program Participant
- Current Voters Registration Card
- Medicare Card
- Birth Certificate
- Bank Statement for current year
- Auto Insurance Policy for Current Year
- Proof of 2021 income for household, not to exceed $25,000 annually to include the following;
- Tax return w/supporting documents
- W-2 for wages
- Interest/dividend statement from bank or investment company
- Social Security Statement SSA-1099
- Retirement/Pension 1099
- Other proof of income as deemed appropriate by the Montgomery County Trustee.
- Vehicle must be titled to the individual person who is requesting reimbursement.
- Only one vehicle per household will be eligible for reimbursement.
- Must apply within one month of initial registration issuance or renewal.
- Proof of payment in full of Montgomery County Vehicle Registration.
- Must present Montgomery County Motor Vehicle Registration obtained from County Clerk’s Office.
Application for the Wheel Tax Reimbursement Program for the Elderly will be processed by the Montgomery County Trustee’s office. Applications are available in the Trustee’s office.
The application must be completed in the Trustee’s Office in person. Once the information on the application is verified, the applicant will be notified within 45 days of his/her eligibility. If approved, a check reimbursing the individual in the amount of $25 will be mailed. The final decision on eligibility will be made by the County Trustee.