- Online Renewals
- Motor Vehicle Information
- Boat Registration
- Hunting and Fishing Licenses
- Trailer Registration
- Business Licenses
- Marriage Licenses
- Notary Public
- Hours and Holidays
- County Commission Information
- Commission Minutes
- Contact Us
License Plate Renewal
NOTICE: VEHICLE REGISTRATION FEE INCREASE, EFFECTIVE JULY 1, 2017
Public Chapter 181 increases the cost to register a vehicle and includes an electric vehicle registration fee beginning July 1, 2017.
Registration Fee Increases
The cost to register a passenger (personal) vehicle will increase by $5. The cost to register a commercial vehicle used for hire to transport passengers (buses, taxis) will increase by $10. The cost to register freight motor vehicles (Heavy Highway, Semi, etc.) will increase by $20.
Electric Vehicle Registration Fee
The registration fee for electric vehicles will be $100. The electric vehicle registration fee is in addition to the standard registration fee.
Registration renewal notices, issued by the State of Tennessee, will reflect the new fee increase beginning in July.
For more information, visit www.tn.gov/revenue. Click on Revenue Help to search for answers or to submit an information request to one of the agents.
Effective January 2017, a new Insurance Verification System will be launched by the Tennessee Department of Revenue. Drivers are advised to verify the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) on their registration and insurance card is correct. Insurance companies will report required policy information to the Department of Revenue. Drivers will not be required to submit proof of insurance unless the verification process does not confirm insurance coverage.
- The fee to renew a passenger vehicle plate is $54.50 for walk-in customers.
- A $2.00 fee is added for mail renewals.
- The fee to renew a passenger vehicle plate for online customers is $58.65. Renew plate online
- The processing fee for credit/debit card use is 2% of the total cost plus 25¢.
- A donation to promote Organ Donor Awareness is optional.
- New residents are required to apply for license plate and/or county wheel tax immediately after moving. Tennessee law does not provide a grace period.
- Accepted methods of payment include: Cash, Check, MasterCard, Visa or Discover (2% convenience fee + 25¢ for in office payments and 2% convenience fee + $1.00 for online payments)
- Two proofs of residency in Montgomery County are required (More Information).
- State of Tennessee Vehicle Services