License Plate Renewal
NOTICE: For changes regarding the submission of required documentation, click here.
NOTICE: Military records can no longer be accessed on public computers. Click here for additional information.
NOTICE: WHEEL TAX CHANGES APPROVED BY THE MONTGOMERY COUNTY COMMISSION
Wheel Tax Increase
Effective February 1, 2021, the Montgomery County Wheel Tax will increase to $74.00.
Effective July 13, 2017, the non-resident military Wheel Tax exemption will be limited to one (1) per active duty member annually. An End of Month LES, dated within the last ninety (90) days, must be presented for exemption.
- The fee to renew a passenger vehicle plate is $103.00 for walk-in customers.
- A $2.00 fee is added for mail renewals. (Beginning January 3, 2022, a mail fee of $5.00 will apply if receiving new license plate metal.)
- The fee to renew a passenger vehicle plate for online customers is $111.45. Renew plate online here.
- The processing fee for credit/debit card use is 2.25% of the total cost plus 25¢.
- A donation to promote Organ Donor Awareness is optional.
- New residents are required to apply for license plate and/or county wheel tax immediately after moving. Tennessee law does not provide a grace period.
- Accepted methods of payment include: Cash, Check, MasterCard, Visa, Discover, or American Express (2.25% convenience fee + 25¢ for in office payments and 2.25% convenience fee + $1.00 for online payments)
- Two proofs of residency in Montgomery County are required (More Information).
- State of Tennessee Vehicle Services
Disabled Veteran Wheel Tax Exemption
Per TCA 5-8-102, any disabled veteran who has one hundred percent (100%) permanent total disability is exempt from the motor vehicle privilege tax (wheel tax) upon submission of evidence of such disability. Proof of a 100% rating (i.e., signed VA letter) must be submitted at time of application. No refunds will be issued after application has been processed.