- Tax Investing
- Types of Property Taxes
- Change Mailing Address
- Property Tax Calculator
- Payments and Branches
- Appealing Assessment
- Tax Relief
- Delinquent Taxes
- Trustee Profile
- Our Staff
- Local Trustee News
- Contact Us
The County Trustee has been a constitutional office in Tennessee since the beginning of the state, being an appointive office by the county court in the 1796 Constitution but becoming a popularly elective office in the 1835 Constitution and remaining so under the 1870 Constitution and its 1978 amendment. The trustee is elected to a four-year term of office in the August general election in same year that the governor is elected. T.C.A. Section 8-11-101
Service in Public Office
Brenda has over 32 years experience in Montgomery County Government. With only 30,000 parcels on the property tax roll, she began her service to Montgomery County in 1975 as a Senior Deputy Trustee. In 2017, the trustee is billing and collection approx 80,000 parcels on the property tax roll In 1998, she was elected as District 2 County Commissioner and served two terms on the County Commission. When she was elected as District 2 County Commissioner, she resigned her position in the Trustee's Office to volunteer on various committees and give back to the community. In 1999, she also volunteered as Interim Animal Control Director (without compensation) while the Animal Control Committee searched for a new Animal Control Director.
In August 2006, with three names on the ballot and after receiving over 57% of the Montgomery County vote, Brenda was elected as Montgomery County Trustee. In August 2010 and August 2014, Brenda was re-elected as Montgomery County Trustee.
As Trustee, Brenda has earned over twenty million dollars through the prudent investment of idle county funds. The Montgomery County Trustee's Office was rated #1 in the State of Tennessee for administering and assisting Montgomery County Taxpayers with the Disabled Veteran/Widow(er) Tax Relief Program by the Tennessee Comptroller of the Treasury, Tax Relief Division in 2013. The Tax relief program allows qualifying homeowners to apply for certain reimbursement amount of county taxes.
The Comptroller of the Treasury, Division of County Audit performs yearly audits of Government offices' financial statements. In January 2014, the Montgomery County Trustee's Office received 'No Audit Findings' for the past six straight years.
- 2009-2010 President, Middle TN Trustee's Association
- 2007-2008 Vice President, Middle TN Trustee's Association
- 2009-2010 President, Middle TN Trustee's Association
- 2003-2006 Secretary, Montgomery County Veterans' Home Board
- 2003-2005 Clarksville Economic Development Council Board
- 2000-2001 University of Tennessee, Center for Government Training, Middle TN Advisory Board
Brenda Radford is a lifelong resident of Montgomery County. Through her extensive involvement in the local business community and various civic organizations, Brenda has demonstrated her commitment to the community she loves.
On May 12, 2000, Brenda attained the Certified Public Administrator certification at the University of Tennessee, Institute for Public Service.
Brenda is married to Al Radford. They have one son, Jonathan Emerson Radford. Jonathan is married to Kimberly Lumpkins Radford. Kim and Jon have a son, Sonny-Rex Radford. In her free time, Brenda's interests include gardening, reading, singing and visiting with her family and friends. They have three beloved family pets, Dolly Belle, Baby Belle and Grayson.
Through her marriage to Al, Brenda's family have lived in Montgomery County for more than five generations. Their family have owned and operated small businesses in Montgomery County for four generations.
- University of Tennessee, Institute for Public Service, Certified Public Administrator, May 12, 2000.
- University of Tennessee, Institute for Public Service, Local Government Leadership Certificate, October 26, 2001.
- Clarksville High School, Class of 1973
Trustee Acheivements, Honors and Awards
- 2010 Middle TN Trustee of the Year
- 2009 National Association of Professional Women
- 2007 United States of America, Retired Enlisted Association, Certificate of Appreciation, for taking the initiative to organize "Veteran' Tax Days" in Montgomery County and the City of Clarksville.
- 2007-Present: The Montgomery Guide to Tax Relief & Tax Freeze Benefits' brochure created and published by Brenda E. Radford, Montgomery County Trustee. The greeting card style brochure is mailed to Residential Property Taxpayers to better inform them of their Tax Relief/Tax Freeze benefitsoptions and answers the question "Where Do Your Property Tax Dollars Go?"
- February 2007 for the first time, the Trustee's Office began opening the office on Saturday Mornings in February to deliver improved customer service.
- 2004 Friend of the Taxpayer Award
- Clarksville Area Chamber of Commerce
- Association of the United States Army, Corporate Member
- Tennessee Trustee's Association
- Tennessee Government Finance Officers Association
- Tennessee Association of Tax Professionals
- County Officials Association of Tennessee, Board of Directors 2007-2009
- Austin Peay State University Tower Club - 8 yrs of Consecutive Philanthropy
- Clarksville Montgomery County School System 100% Graduation Initiative
- Montgomery County Historical Society
- NAACP, Life Member
- Better Business Bureau of Middle Tennessee
- 2003-2011 Tennessee Rehabilitation Advisory Board
- Preschool Sunday School Leader for over 26 years
- First Baptist Church, Choir Member and Soloist
- Clarksville Arts & Heritage Development Council
- Customs House Museum
- Friends of Dunbar Cave
- 2006-2010 Big Brother/Big Sisters Advisory Board
- Brenda Radford, Montgomery County Trustee, is often asked to speak to church, community or civic organizations about the various duties and services of the Trustee's Office. Some of the topics discussed are as follows: The 2014 Re-Appraisal Process and the Tax Freeze in Clarksville/Montgomery County, Montgomery County Economy, Growth Trends in Montgomery County and surrounding counties. Interest Rates and the Trustee's Investment Program, Tax Collections, Tax Relief for Elderly and Disabled Homeowners, Tax Relief for Disabled Veterans or their Surviving Spouses; and, Tax Relief for Widow/ers of Casualty of War.
Other County Commission Committees and Activities
- District Two, Montgomery County Commissioner 1998-2006
- 1998-2006 Vision: The County Commission approved the purchase of the industrial property where the Hankook Tire Plant will be located. Business Facilities Magazine: Tennessee 2013 State of the Year - "Tennessee nailed down the 2013 crown with a solid mix of top projects that created 6,900 jobs and lured millions in investments from overseas producers for new and expanded U.S. manufacturing facilities. Business Facilities singled out the recruitment of South Korea-based Hankook to build an $800 million tire plant in Clarksville that will employ 1,850 people. Bill Hagerty, commissioner of the TN Department of Economic and Community Development said, "Over the past year, Tennessee has experienced unprecedented amounts of momentum".
- Animal Control & Adoption Service, (Chair, Dec., 1998-Feb, 2001)
- Chaplain of the County Commission October 1, 1999 until September, 2001 (first Chaplain to invite area Pastors to give the Invocation)
- Clarksville Montgomery County Economic Development Board of Directors Council (2003-2005)
- Fire Protection, Chairman (First Female Montgomery County Commissioner to serve) (Chairman 2002-03)
- Information Systems
- Legislative Liaison (1998-2001)
- Loss Control Committee
- Millennium Commission, Secretary (1999-2003)
- Millennium Commission Historic Picture Committee, Chairman (1999-2003)
- Purchasing, (Chair, Jan 1, 1999-Feb. 1, 2000)
- School Liaison, Chairman (2002-2003)
- Audit Committee
- Water Sculpture Selection Committee - Sculpture to be located on the Millennium Plaza.
- Montgomery County 's Representative on the Arts Reach Steering Committee-an A.P.S.U. Grant that studied the Economic Impact of the Cultural Arts in Montgomery County .
- Greenhill Human Development Corporation Advisory Board 2011
County Commission Awards and Achievements
- May 17, 2000-Our City Newspaper-People and Writer's Choice-Best County Commissioner
- May 30, 2001-Our City Newspaper-People's Choice Award for Best County Commissioner and Hardest Working Community Leader; placed third runner up for People's Choice Up-and Coming Political Figure
- February 27, 2002 Our City Newspaper-People's Choice Awards for Best County Commissioner and Hardest Working Community Leader; placed second place for Up-and-Coming Political Figure and third place for Most Admired Local Public Figure.
- 1999-2003 Historic Picture Project Chairman-responsible for organizing and leading the Historic Picture Committee that placed 151 sepia-toned reproductions that are displayed in a brochure and on the renovated Historic Courthouse and Courts Center walls. The Montgomery County Archives received negatives of the 497 pictures that were donated and photographed.
- January 22, 2003, Grand Opening of the Historic Courthouse, Montgomery County Courts Complex and the Millennium Plaza .
- When Brenda served on the Montgomery County Commission-Montgomery County 's Moody Bond Rating improved on November 29, 2000 from A2 to an A1 rating-the first time since 1967.
- Corinthia P. Elder, Chief Deputy Trustee
- Sydney Green, Trustee Staff Accountant
- JoAnn Baggett, Senior Deputy Trustee I
- Anna Burkhart, Senior Deputy Trustee II
- Donna Grizzard, Deputy Trustee
- Diana Appleton, Deputy Trustee