Tax Relief for Elderly or Disabled Homeowners

The Montgomery County Trustee's office administers a state-funded County Tax Relief Program to help taxpayers 65 or older and disabled citizens pay their property taxes. For qualifying applicants, the State will pay all or part of the property taxes on their home, depending on the maximum amount of Tax Relief credit given in relation to the taxes due.

You may qualify for Tax Relief if you meet the following requirements on or before December 31, 2024:

  • You owned and lived in your home in Tennessee (mobile homes are included) that was your main residence.

AND You are one of the following:

  • Elderly: Age 65 or older on or before December 31, 2024.
  • Disabled: You must be totally and permanently disabled as rated by the Social Security Administration or other qualified agency on or before December 31, 2024.


When can I apply?

You can apply when property taxes become due in your county. 

Where can I apply?

You can apply at the Trustee's Office or at the City of Clarksville, if you reside in the city limits.

What are the income guidelines?

Elderly and disabled applicants must report all income from the prior year of all property owners, not to exceed the current year's limit.  Annual income from all sources includes, but is not limited to: Social Security (after Medicare is deducted), Supplemental Security Income (SSI), Retirements or Pension benefits, Veterans' Administration benefits, Worker's Compensation, Salaries or Wages and Interest or Dividends. Total income cannot exceed $36,370.00. T.C.A. 67-5-702 Legislation adopted in 2009 requires the income of the applicant's spouse to be included, regardless of ownership.

What documents will I need?

  • Proof of Ownership
  • Tax Receipt - provide a copy of your property tax receipt. If the tax receipt is not in your name, also provide a deed, probated will, or other court document. If you live in a mobile home provide a title or bill of sale.
  • All property owners must provide some form of ID - drivers license, Medicare card, Social Security card or voters registration card.

If benefits are from any agency other than Social Security, you will need:

  • Proof of age for both elderly and disabled homeowners. This may be a birth certificate or a marriage license which states your age.
  • Proof of disability for disabled homeowners: This may be a current letter from a governmental or private entity that does not participate in the Social Security System. An example would be a letter from the Railroad Retirement Board or the Civil Service.

All property owners and their spouses must sign the application. If the applicant or co-owner is unable to sign, two persons who are not relatives will have to witness their X mark on the application.

Are the Tax Relief recipients exempt from paying property taxes?

No. Tax Relief is payment by the State of Tennessee to reimburse certain homeowners who meet the legal requirements, for a part or all of property taxes paid, and is not an exemption. You will still receive your tax bill(s) and be responsible for paying your property taxes each year.

How much Tax Relief will I get?

The amount is set by October of each year by the State of Tennessee.

What if my taxes are paid by my mortgage company?

Your application will be held by the Trustee's office until payment is received from your mortgage company. The application is then mailed to the State Tax Relief Office for examination. If approved, you will receive a refund for the relief amount.

Can I receive Tax Relief on more than one property?

No. You can only receive tax relief on your primary residence.