Current available position: Youth Services and Outreach Supervisor - yearly salary $50,025 with excellent benefits
Montgomery County Government
Youth Services and Outreach Supervisor
Assistant Library Director
This position supervises the daily operations of the Children’s, Young Adult and Outreach services at all Public Library locations.
EXPECTATIONS OF EMPLOYEE
- Adheres to Library Policies and Procedures
- Acts as a role model within and outside the work environment
- Performs duties as workload necessitates
- Maintains a positive and respectful attitude
- Communicates regularly with supervisor about department issues
- Demonstrates flexible and efficient time management and ability to prioritize workload
- Provides exceptional customer service and maintains appropriate customer relations
- Ability to communicate in a polite, cooperative and solution based manner during all interactions (teammates, patrons, vendors etc.)
- Maintains positive, respectful and adaptable behavior on a consistent basis
- Consistently demonstrates ability to build and maintain positive professional work relationships to accomplish job responsibilities
- Consistently reports to work on time prepared to perform duties of position at their designated staff station.
- Reliable, consistent attendance is a requirement and essential function of all staff positions. Every Employee’s attendance patterns should support the needs of the library team and those we serve.
ALLOCATED HOURS: 40, Full-Time
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Is the face of the Youth Services department, providing a positive cultural model for staff and professional and compassionate service to members of the public who use youth services.
- Supervises, directs and evaluates staff, handling employee concerns and problems, assigning work, counseling, and recommending personnel action if necessary.
- Plans, prepares, conducts and promotes age-appropriate programs for children/young adults and parents.
- Leads and or participates in scheduled story times, tells stories, sings, acts, creates craft projects, etc. to engage young minds and to encourage a love of reading.
- May be a selector of youth materials for the Youth Services Dept.
- Trains staff in best practices in library programming for youth
- Plans and implements the Summer Reading Program and contracts with children’s performers and other special events for this program as well as seasonal programming.
- Coordinates the distribution of promotional materials to schools.
- Remains knowledgeable of current trends in Children’s and Young Adult literature and new technology. May present informative programs at training opportunities.
- Conducts inventories, weeding, and oversees organization of Children’s and YA collections
- May train and monitor volunteers.
- Supervises the decoration of the Children’s Library and Young Adult area which enhances the Library atmosphere.
- Coordinates and supervises assorted projects in the Youth Services Department.
- Coordinates and provides outreach services to public schools, Head Start centers and other community organizations.
- Speaks to organizations and groups as requested about library services.
- Works with teachers to provide materials to supplement CMCSS curriculum.
- Provides library tours and programming for interested groups.
- Is a part of the Leadership Team, promoting and supporting the library’s strategic mission, and attends weekly leadership meetings and other committee meetings as assigned.
- Performs regular tasks relating to the Automated Materials Handling System, including providing basic troubleshooting.
- Special projects as assigned and initiated.
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Possesses considerable knowledge of the policies, procedures, and activities of the library and library management practices as they pertain to the performance of duties relating to the job of Youth Services and Outreach Supervisor.
- Knows how to keep abreast of any changes in policy, methods, computer operations, equipment needs, etc. as they pertain to departmental operations and activities.
- Effectively communicates and interacts with subordinates, members of the general public, and other groups involved in the activities of the Circulation department.
- Is able to assemble information and make written reports and documents in a concise, clear and effective manner.
- Possesses good organizational, human relations, and technical skills. Is able to use independent judgment in supervision of subordinates.
- Possesses the ability to comprehend, interpret, and apply principles and methods utilized within the library.
- Possesses the mathematical ability to handle required calculations using percentages and decimals.
- Is knowledgeable and proficient with computers.
- Is able to read, understand, and interpret statistical and financial reports and related materials.
MINIMUM TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s degree required, MLS from an ALA accredited school preferred, with related Children’s and supervisory experience; or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience that provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the incumbent is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The incumbent frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms. The incumbent is occasionally required to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl and climb or balance. The incumbent must occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds. Must be able to push and pull carts weighing 60 to 80 lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, and ability to adjust focus.
Montgomery County is an Equal Opportunity Employer and complies with the requirements of the Civil Rights Act of 1966 (Section 1981) and 1964 (Title VI, VII,) Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA), Equal Pay Act (EPA) and the Uniformed Services Employment and Re-employment Rights Act (USERRA).
A drug test and background check are required as part of the hiring process.
To apply, please visit Montgomery County Government's job postings here. Position closes Friday, October 1st.
Montgomery County is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, gender, disability or any other characteristic protected by law.