All outdoor pools, spas and hot tubs with water over 24" deep, must be protected with a barrier as outlined below:
- 48" minimum above grade measured from the outside face of the barrier.
- 2" maximum between grade and bottom of barrier
- 4" maximum between top of above-ground pool wall and bottom of barrier when barrier is attached to top of pool wall.
- All other openings shall not allow the passage of a 4" diameter sphere.
- Solid barriers (stone walls, etc.) must have no protrusions or indentations.
- Horizontal members less than 45" apart must be located on the inside face of the barrier. In such cases, the space between corresponding vertical members must be 1.75" or less.
- Maximum mesh size for chain link fences shall be a 2.25-inch square unless the fence is provided with slats fastened at the top or the bottom which reduce the openings to not more than 1.75".
- Decorative cut-outs within a vertical member must not have openings greater than 1.75".
- Must meet height, opening and climb ability requirements for barriers.
- Must be self-closing and self-latching, and must open outward away from pool.
- Latches less than 54" from the bottom of the gate must be located on pool side at least 3" from top of the gate. There shall be no openings 1/2" or greater within 18" of the latch.
- Latches located greater than 54" from the bottom of the gate may be located on both sides.
(equipped on doors which open from house directly to pool area)
- Must sound immediately and continuously for 30 seconds.
- Must be heard throughout the house.
- Must reset automatically
- Must be able to be temporarily, but not permanently deactivated. Mechanism to deactivate must be 54" above the door threshold.
Spas & Hot Tubs
- Safety covers may be substituted for barriers provided such covers meet standard ASTM F1346.
- Mechanism to deactivate must be 54" above the door threshold.
- Suction Outlets shall be designed to produce circulation throughout the pool or spa shall be protected against user entrapment.
- Shall be protected by a 12” X 12” drain grate or larger or equivalent that meets ANSI/ASME A112.19.8M or an approved channel drain system.
- Atmospheric vacuum relief system required. Should grate covers become missing or broken? The vacuum relief system shall include at least one approved or engineered method:
- Safety vacuum release system conforming to ASME a112.19.17 or an approved gravity drainage system.
- Dual Drain Separation:
- Minimum of two suction outlets of the approved type.
- Minimum distance of three feet horizontal or vertical separation between suction outlets.
- They shall be piped so that water is drawn through them simultaneously through a vacuum relief-protected line to the pump or pumps.
- Pool cleaner fittings shall be located in an accessible position(s) at least six inches and not greater than 12 inches below operational water level or as an attachment to the skimmers.