Adopt a Pet Information
Montgomery County Animal Care and Control takes great pride in ensuring all of our animals find loving and caring homes. MCACC strives to take the necessary steps to ensure that all animals are providing loving, compassionate and professional care. MCACC's goal is to find every pet in our care a safe and loving home.
Before You Adopt
Taking that step to adopt a new pet is one that should not be taken lightly. Before you choose to adopt and add a new family member to your household, be sure you have taken the steps to discuss bringing a new family member into your home. Being a responsible pet owners starts with making sure you have taken all necessary steps to prepare for your new family member so before choosing to adopt, ask yourself and members of your family the same questions we would ask potential adopters:
- Do you or anyone in your home have allergies to pets?
- Are you prepared for the financial responsibility of owning a pet such as pet food costs, veterinary care, pet care (grooming), etc. The average annual cost of owning a dog can range from $400 to $1200 and the average cost of owning a cat can range from $430 to $900 respectively
- Do you and your family have the time to dedicate to providing the necessary love, care and training your new pet will need?
- Do you have small children or other members of the family who may be fearful of certain types or breeds of animals?
- Does your current housing situation limit the size, breed, or number of pets you may own? We strongly encourage you discuss pet ownership with your landlord, property manager, and even your neighborhood association.
- Do you currently own pets who may or may not get along with a new pet in the home?
- Do you have a set and reliable plan in place for someone to care for your pet should you be deployed?
- We strongly encourage our military families to consider what their plan would be should they be PCS, would they be able to take their pet with them? Do they have someone that can care for their pet until other arrangements can be made? Have you researched the cost of relocating your pet to your new home?
When you come to MCACC looking for your new family member, our friendly and helpful staff will greet you and discuss what type of pet you are looking for and offer recommendations if you are maybe unsure or are just window shopping. Staff will ask you to sign in when you arrive and direct you to our adoptable pet rooms. We have a Puppy Room for our puppies and small breed dogs, 2 Large Adoptable Dog kennels, and a large cat room for our adoptable cats.
We do ask that when you visit that if you have small children or are not comfortable just yet around dogs or cats to please refrain from placing hands or fingers inside cages. Although MCACC takes every step possible to ensure our adoptable animals are safe and friendly, animals are animals and they can be unpredictable especially in a stressful environment and around people they have never met before, so for your safety and the safety we ask you refrain from this practice.
If you find a pet you would like to interact with, we have friendly staff and volunteers that can assist you. We ask that you please advise our staff of what animal you wish to interact with, in most cases, we allow visitors to freely interact with our animals when appropriate.
Once you have found a pet you wish to provide a furever home for then its as simple as following these easy steps:
- Complete an adoption application: Once you find a pet you wish to adopt, let our front staff know and they will have you fill out one of our adoption applications. This would be the time to ask any questions you may have about the specific pet you are looking to adopt, discuss pet ownership, tips, or ask any other relevant questions.
- Once you have completed your adoption application staff will review your application to ensure you meet our minimum requirements for pet ownership. In most cases, Adoption Applications can be approved the same day while you wait.
- When your application is approved, staff will discuss the associated fee's for the specific animal
- If the new pet needs to be spayed or neutered, staff will discuss veterinary clinic choices with you. Only specific veterinary clinics in Montgomery County accept our Spay/Neuter vouchers so staff will discuss which veterinary clinic you wish to use and those that would be available to perform surgeries that following day.
- Once you have selected your veterinary clinic, staff will schedule your pets surgery date. In most cases, surgeries can be scheduled for the following morning, however, in some cases surgeries may have to be scheduled 2-3 days out from the adoption date.
- Staff will then discuss specific information relating to the adoption such as surgery, when you can pick up your pet from the veterinary clinic after surgery, microchipping, etc. In most instances your pet can be picked up from the veterinary clinic the same day as surgery.
- If your pet is already spayed or neutered at the time of adoption they can go home that same day after they have been microchipped.
- All pets that are adopted at MCACC must be microchipped before they go home.
- The final step of the adoption process is payment and providing you with your new pets information, microchip info, and surgery schedule.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The Spay/Neuter voucher provided by MCACC in conjunction with participating veterinary clinics in Montgomery County DOES NOT cover any additional costs associated with the specific veterinary clinic. Veterinary clinics may charge additional fee's for pain medication, cones, tests the veterinary clinic deems necessary, or other associated costs with your pets surgery. We Strongly Recommend you discuss any additional charges with the veterinary clinic and testing needs. MCACC is not responsible for any additional costs imposed by a veterinary clinic.
If you are interested in a pet at our facility, please stop into the shelter during normal business hours to complete an adoption application. You may also, email our shelter at [email protected] and request an adoption application be emailed to you.