Green Certification Program Awards Banquet
The Clarksville-Montgomery County Green Certification Program held its 9th annual awards banquet on September 15, 2020. In the past this banquet has been held in person but this year the Program held a virtual banquet to celebrate environmental stewardship amongst local organizations while staying safe and socially distanced.
The awards included 8 Excellence Awards, 2 Best Overall Organization Awards, 16 Level-Up Awards and the Ron Smithfield Persistence Award. The big winner of the day was the City of Clarksville Parks and Recreation Department taking home the Outstanding Efforts in Land Use Award, the Best Overall Small Organization Award and an award for achieving Platinum Level in the Program.
The 2020 award recipients were:
• Outstanding Efforts in Air Quality – Clarksville Transit System
• Outstanding Efforts in Engagement & Education – Clarksville Gas & Water
• Outstanding Efforts in Land Use – City of Clarksville Parks & Recreation
• Outstanding Efforts in Recycling – Moore Magnet Elementary School
• Outstanding Efforts in Reduction – Red Knight Distribution
• Outstanding Efforts in Resource Conservation – Customs House Museum
• Outstanding Efforts in Reuse – Montgomery County Election Commission
• Outstanding Efforts in Water Quality – Action Air
Best Overall Organization Awards-
• Small Organization (under 100 employees) – City of Clarksville Parks & Recreation
• Large Organization (over 100 employees) – Austin Peay State University
• Advancing to Silver Level: Action Air, Batson Nolan PLC, City of Clarksville Fleet Garage, First Choice Moving & Storage, Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office, My Place Realty & Management, Screaming Eagle Express Car Wash, Superior Distribution
• Advancing to Gold Level: Florim, Montgomery County Election Commission, Moore Magnet Elementary School, Multi-Color Corporation, Northfield Eye Care
• Advancing to Platinum Level: Austin Peay State University, City of Clarksville Parks & Recreation, Avanti
The Ron Smithfield Persistence Award was present to David Berggren from Red Knight Distribution for his dedication to the Program and his commitment to the environment. With David’s oversight Red Knight Distribution became the first ever organization to reach Platinum level in the Program. Part of which was thanks to the Styrofoam recycling he started in 2016. Red Knight remains the only organization providing Styrofoam recycling in our community.