Alert: Montgomery County Government offices will be closed on Monday, February 20, in observance of Presidents' Day. Public Safety personnel will report as scheduled.
User Fee Frequently Asked Questions
Why do I pay a user fee?
- The user fee was established in 1997. This fee was established to help offset the cost of operating the convenience centers located in Montgomery and Stewart Counties as well as the processing of residential waste and closure costs of the landfill. The user fee is allowed by TCA 68-211-835 and authorized by the Montgomery County and Stewart County Commissions. By law, landfills must be maintained and monitored for 30 years after they are closed.
Is the landfill user fee a new bill?
- No, the Bi-County User
Fee was established in 1996 and was included on residential electric bills
until July 2015. The $5 per month fee is one of the lowest in the State of
Tennessee and has remained the same for 20 years. A landfill fee is the
norm throughout the nation and is either paid directly to the landfill or
is paid through a utility tax.
Is the landfill user fee the same as paying a trash service?
- No it is not. If you pay a private company to pick up your trash, you are paying for the convenience of using their services to pick up your trash NOT the user fee. The User Fee is used to cover costs of convenience center operations and some expenses toward landfill closure costs. Centers are subsidized by tipping fees as well. The convenience/recycling centers are open to all Montgomery and Stewart County residents for trash drop off and recycling. The main landfill is open to residents for large items/loads that trash services cannot handle, latex paint, and electronics. Residents also have access to Household Hazardous Waste Collection days at no additional cost.
Who will be billed?
- User fees are billed per household (not per person). Therefore each household, regardless of the number of people living there, will be billed $15.00 per quarter. The user fee billing account will be set up in the name of the household member in whose name the electric bill is in.
How much is the landfill user fee?
- Bi-County bills user fees quarterly for $15 ($5 per month).
How often will I be billed?
- Bi-County will bill user fees quarterly. Once you receive your bill you will have the option to pay for the full year in advance. Bi-County operates on a fiscal year that runs from July 1 to June 30. If you choose to pay for the full year in advance you will not receive another bill until July of the following year.
When is my user fee bill due?
- Your user fee bills are due when issued. However, Bi-County allows until the last business day of the month to pay your bill in full before your account becomes delinquent.
What are my payment options?
- Online – You may pay your bill online at https://www.mcgtn.org/bi-county/online-bill-pay. Online payments may be made by debit or credit cards. Bi-County accepts Visa, MasterCard, and Discover. Please note there will be a convenience fee when paying with credit and debit cards.
- Mail – You may mail your payment to P.O. Box 31689 Clarksville, TN 37040. When paying via mail you may pay by check or money order. Please do not send cash in the mail. Bi-County provides a pre-addressed return envelope with every bill. Please be sure to use the provided envelope and also include the payment stub with your payment.
- Auto Pay – You have the option to sign up for automatic bank drafts. If you choose this option your payment will be drafted from your bank account in the amount of $5 on the last business day of each month.
- In person – You may pay your bill in person at any Legends bank location in Clarksville or Dover. Payments may be made with cash, check, or money order. Please be sure to bring your payment stub with your payment.
Who do I make my check/money order payable to?
- Please make your check/money order payable to Bi-County SWMS.
How do I set up automatic bank draft?
- In person – You may sign up in person at the Bi-County SWMS main office located at 3212 Dover Rd. Woodlawn, TN. Please be sure to bring a voided check to include with your application.
- Mail – If requested Bi-County will either mail or e-mail you an automatic bank draft application. You may also go to www.mcgtn.org/bi-county and print an application. Once you have completed and signed the application please attach a voided check and return to: P.O. Box 192 Woodlawn, TN 37191
Why is there a fee when I pay with my debit/credit card?
- Bi-County gladly accepts Visa, MasterCard, and Discover cards. However, Bi-County is unable to absorb credit card processing fees in accordance with TCA 9-1-108(c). The convenience fee is charged in order to cover the cost of the credit card processing fees.
I own multiple properties. Will I be charged the user fee on all of them?
- The user fee will be charged on every occupied property. If the unit becomes empty the user fee will be removed when we are notified in writing.
What are the penalties for late payments?
- Fines will begin to accrue on an account once it becomes 90 days past due. Once the account is 90 days past due a $50.00 fine will be assessed to the account. If the account continues in delinquent status, $50.00 fines will continue to accrue on the account each month. When the 8th $50.00 fine has accrued, the account is turned over to Crossland Services for collections. At the time $500.00 in fines are accrued, the account can/will be taken to court. The maximum total fines are $500.00.
Why did I receive a letter from Crossland Services?
- If you have received a letter from Crossland Services it is because your user fee is delinquent. It also means that you now have between $400 and $500 in fines owed. We turn over delinquent accounts to collections (Crossland Services) after the account has accrued its 8th fine. If the account is taken to court for collections the total owed will include: user fees, fines, court costs, and lawyer fees.