Background Investigation Policy
EMPLOYEE BACKGROUND INVESTIGATIONS
General Statement of Policy - In order to verify the qualifications
and background of individuals before being hired into a permanent position with
this Office, the Personnel Office shall conduct a thorough background
investigation for each applicant.
Purpose – The Personnel
Officer and designees shall be responsible for such investigation as employees
of this Office, regardless of rank or assignment, hold positions of public
trust. Therefore, postings for positions
in this Office shall contain notification that appointment is contingent upon a
successful background investigation.
Procedure - A background investigation shall begin only after a
completed application has been received and the Authorization for Release of
Information had been properly witnessed.
Investigation - The initial
investigation begins with, but shall not be limited to, checks of:
Criminal History, Driving History, Sex Offender Status and Credit History. A continuing investigation may begin if the
applicant has demonstrated an acceptable background during the initial
investigation. Those applicants not
demonstrating an acceptable background during the initial investigation shall
not be considered for employment.
Investigation – Those conducting the continuing background investigation shall
attempt to gain more information through the following methods:
initial interview with the applicant; this may reveal information useful to the
background investigative process
- Finger Print Cards.
- Review of Criminal History - Local and NCIC/TCIC.
- Review of Sex Offender Status.
- Review of Driving History.
- Proof of a valid Tennessee drivers license.
- Social Security Number trace.
- Review of Military Service Record.
- Review of Credit History.
- T.B.I. Expungement Check.
- Review of civil and criminal court records.
- Local data base checks.
- Interview of past and present employers.
- Interview of neighbors for past 10 years.
- Verify personal references.
- Home visit to conduct final interview.
- Collect letters of explanation, if needed.