Photo ID Law

Beginning January 1, 2012, all voters must present an ID, meeting the requirements below, containing the voter’s name and photograph, whether voting early or on Election Day.

Any of the following IDs may be used, even if expired:

  • Tennessee drivers license with your photo
  • Tennessee Department of Safety and Homeland Security photo ID
  • Tennessee handgun carry permit card with your photo
  • United States Passport and Passport Card
  • Photo ID issued by the federal or Tennessee state government, such as an employee ID from the U.S. Department of Energy with your photo
  • United States Military photo ID, including a Veteran Identification Card

Acceptable forms of identification

TN drivers license
Passport card
Veteran ID


TN state ID
TN handgun permit
Military ID

What forms of photo ID are NOT acceptable?

  • A college student photo ID
  • A photo ID not issued by the federal or state government, such as your discount club or bank card with your photo
  • A photo ID issued by other states or by county or city governments, including library cards

These forms of ID are NOT acceptable

College ID
County ID
Credit card

Who is exempt?

  • Voters who vote absentee by mail (view requirements at
  • Voters who are residents in a licensed nursing home or assisted living center and who vote at the facility
  • Voters who are hospitalized
  • Voters with a religious objection to being photographed
  • Voters who are indigent and unable to obtain a photo ID without paying a fee

What if I don’t bring a photo ID to the polling place?

  • If you don’t bring a photo ID, you will vote a provisional ballot.
  • You will then have until two (2) business days after Election Day to return to the election commission office to show a valid photo ID.

What if I don’t have a photo ID?

  • You may obtain a free photo ID to vote from the Department of Safety at any participating driver service center across the state. You will need proof of citizenship (such as a birth certificate), and two proofs of Tennessee residency (such as a copy of a utility bill, vehicle registration/title, bank statement or voter registration card).
  • If you do not have a photo on your driver’s license and no other form of valid photo ID, the Department of Safety will reissue your license with your photo for free upon request.
  • You may use the “express service” line at the driver service center to obtain your photo ID to minimize wait times.
  • If you already have a valid government-issued photo ID, the Department of Safety will not issue a free photo ID to you.
  • Visit the Dept. of Safety website at for more information.

Where can I find out more information?

  • Call (931) 648.5707 or visit our office at 350 Pageant Lane, Suite 404, Clarksville
  • Click here for this information in a printable document