tests for various licensing, certification, and aptitude practice tests, online
career preparation, and vital information for a wide variety of occupations are
available through the Learning Express Library.
Online Job Banks
Creating a resume in Microsoft Word 2003
using the template feature
- On the File
menu, click New.
- In the New
Document task pane
(task pane: A window within an Office program that provides commonly used
commands. Its location and small size allow you to use these commands
while still working on your files.), under Templates,
click on my computer.
- Click the Other
- Double-click Resume
- Follow the steps in
How to create a resume
through the Learning Express Library
- Go to the Learning Express
Library and log
in to your account. If you do not have an account, then create one by clicking here.
- Click on “Job Search & Workplace Skills” on the left menu.
- Click on “Job Search, Resumes,
and Interviewing” in the center of the page to expand the menu.
- Click on “Creating Great
Resumes and Cover Letters” to see the different course offerings.
- Add the “Career
Course: Creating a Great Resume” course to your center to begin creating
Tips for Applying for jobs on the Internet
- Many online applications require you to have an email account in order
to register on their application website.
- If you do not have an email address, you can create one. Here are some
suggested places to create a web-based email account: Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail
- When using an email address in your application or resume, make sure you
use a professional sounding email address. Nobody wants to hire someone with
the email address “firstname.lastname@example.org.”
- If applying for a job with a corporation, look for an employment or careers link
at the bottom of the page
- Some online applications require you to register on their website when
creating your resume to send to them.
- When submitting
information online, always double-check your spelling before you click
submit! If you aren’t sure about your spelling, you can copy and paste
your text into Word, run spell check, then copy and paste the corrected
version back into your application.
- Many online
applications are timed. If you take too long filling out an application,
you may have to start over. Come prepared with your personal information
and work history so that you will be ready to fill in information quickly
to avoid this stress.