Early Childhood Literacy
Why read aloud to very young children?
Children who are read to:
- Discover that books are fun
- Can become better listeners
- Will understand the world better
- Have a greater chance of succeeding in school
- Get to cuddle with their favorite person: you!
- Experience beautiful art in picture books
- Approach learning to read with enthusiasm
Here you will find:
- A list of skills that will help you prepare your child to get ready to read in school.
- Also, there are recommended books for appropriate formats such as board books, concept books, and wordless books.
- A suggested reading list for preschool and kindergarten
- Links to other fun literacy web sites
Reading Aloud Tips
- Choose children's books that you enjoy
- Read and reread your child's favorite books
- Set aside a time every day, for reading aloud
- Let your child participate in the story
- Remember: enjoy the book, don't teach it
- Read aloud even after your child learns how to read
- Be a role model - let your child see you reading as well
Remember - Get your child a Library Card